It’s been a while since I’ve shared any making…and this was finished (and worn) on New Year’s day, so it’s definitely time to show it off!
This is Sweet Jane, an a-line jumper with an asymmetrical hem. I managed to make mine longer than the original….I even considered making it into a dress as it wouldn’t have taken much more yarn to get there!
Above – Cloud reflections while Lakeside knitting in Killarney last November. I was waiting around there for a day, and it was the nicest day, just drinking coffee, strolling around and doing some knitting …. how middle-aged can I get!
Made from the top down in one piece. My gauge was pretty close to the pattern, so I didn’t make any changes except to stop increasing after the waist, so mine is a little less flared than the pattern.
I was working on this at a very busy/stressful time (apart from that one day above!) and it was a great distraction when I needed a minute of calm.
I’m delighted with this jumper – I can honestly say I would buy this if I saw it in a shop. I’ve worn it at least once every week since I finished it in January. The yarn (Ella Rea cozy soft) has 25% wool making it warm but still lightweight and breathable. I could do with making another in either teal or grey/black. The only thing stopping me is that even though it was an easy knit, it got boring! All the stockinette was nice for zoned out knitting, but it did start to wear on a bit near the end. If I was to make another, I think I’d work on a hat or scarf with an interesting pattern and swap between them, depending on my mood.
The only other thing to mention is that I’ve noticed it getting more out of shape around the neck and shoulders as I’ve worn it – because it’s made in one piece it doesn’t have the support of shoulder seams. I did a little surgery on it the other day with a crochet hook – picking up stitches along the inside and crocheting a chain to hold the shoulder line and support the back neck. It’s made a noticeable difference, and I’ll be doing the same if I ever make another version.
Right now I’m working on two different cardigans, but I’m thinking of undoing at least one of them – it’s the Myrna Cardigan from Andi Satterlund. I’ve made it before in green (see below) and it’s gotten a lot of wear – over dresses and shirts.
The problem with the latest one is that I just couldn’t concentrate, so the armholes ended up too long. I carried on, thinking I’d figure a way to make it work, but really I need to undo it and decide whether to re-start or pick a new pattern. So that’s my plan for this week 🙂