This jacket really stood out for me when I picked up the March copy of Burdastyle magazine. I don’t buy every issue as I’ve collected so many over the years and I’ll never get through all of them.
Do you think people still have an interest in blog posts? So much sewing has moved onto instagram and I’ve noticed less people blogging. I’m starting to miss hearing from some of the makers I follow. I know I like to see more detail behind the making so I’ll keep sharing when I can. I have something new to show right now!
It’s described as having “..sleeves tucked into an inverted pleat” and has a difficulty rating of expert. Burda magazine is known for it’s minimal(!) instructions, and I don’t always follow them.
This time I wanted to line my jacket and took some photos as I went along to show what I did differently.
I fused strips of interfacing to all the hems and pressed them before assembly…just a habit I have with jackets.
Next I sewed the sleeve pleats :
They got pressed flat, and I stitched through the centre of the pleat, just at the top.
I was going to leave the sleeves unlined, and hemmed by hand. But I wasn’t happy with how it looked. I removed the hand stitches, added lining – machine sewn to hem allowance (lining was cut shorter than the outer sleeve ) so the sleeve is bagged out similar to the body of a coat.
You can see the difference in the picture : left/before – right/after
Then the sleeve was sewn between the front and side front panels. I used a medium weight crepe and the pleats looked bulky after pressing:
So I trimmed the excess away on the crepe and the sleeve lining:
Below is how it looks with the sleeve caught between the front panels, before being attached to the back panel.
The lining is definitely not matching…but I liked the colours together and prefer not to buy new fabric if I have usable leftovers!
Half way through it started to remind me of a dress-up set I had as a child..
But I love it anyway..! And I still have to make a dress or skirt to wear with it….More to come..😉