This used to be a sewing blog! But the last few posts have covered everything but sewing…..so back to normal programming for a minute 😁.
This dress has been in the making for almost two months.. Not because it’s difficult, I just lost interest in sewing for a while!
I plan to finish it in the next few weeks by sewing in small bursts. I cut it from a medium weight cotton that has a small bit of stretch.
I don’t often make toiles, since Burda patterns fit pretty well. What I do is add some extra fabric to the seams, I also need extra at the shoulder slope because mine are very square, and extra length at the waist, to allow for being long waisted.
I don’t usually follow the instructions – instead I make it up in such a way that alterations will be easier at a later date…especially if I need to let it out or take it in. For this dress the bodice left and right are lined then the skirt fronts are lined.
Everything tacked together for a try on…
The front bodice meets the side front at an angle. In order to keep the corner crisp, its a good idea to only stitch on the sewing line and not right to the edge:
I’m happy enough with the fit, so I’ll cut off the excess and get it tidied up.
It closes with two buttons and instead of buttonholes, there are gaps in the waist seam. A clever detail that I’ll show up close next time.
In other news the Great British Sewing Bee is back on tv since Wednesday. I only watched a few minutes, I’ve recorded it so will have a proper look tomorrow, they were making wrap skirts, refashioning shirts (it bothered me that the shirts they were given to refashion looked like new!) and sewing tea dresses.
I always have some knitting on the go and can’t sit down to watch tv without it – right now I’m working on this Caramel squishiness:
Hope all is well wherever you are, slán for now xc