Picture heavy post to follow! ….. I’ve been on a steep learning curve with my knitting machine, and it’s all starting to click. I can cast on and do various things like ribbing or fairisle swatches without having to take out the manual every time!
The machine knit community had a month where we converted a hand knit pattern to machine and I used a pattern from Amy Milller, it has a fitted sleeve and a slight flare to the shape.
My handknit version from a few years ago is below, I didn’t go with the longer hem this time.
I was able to match the stitch gauge of the pattern but had to make some calculations for the row gauge. Which wasn’t too difficult. First I counted the rows between increases, worked out how many cm it should measure and then figured out how many machine rows would give me the same cm measurement.
I made the back and used it to check my calculations. Then I made some mockup designs on my phone for the front intarsia:
I didn’t draw a chart for the design as it was simple angled lines. I took note of the rows where I would begin and end, and then hoped for the best.
Intarsia on my knit master uses a special carriage, the yarn is laid across the open needles by hand and the carriage passed across as you hold the yarn underneath to give it tension.
I then joined the pieces at the shoulders:
Without changing the construction of the handknit pattern, I was able to short row the sleevecap straight into the armhole.
With a machine, all the stitches are placed onto the needles, then the outer needles are held in a non-working position until they are needed.
After that I was able to rehang the sides and knit one loosely tensioned row to seam them. Followed by casting off.
I wasn’t confident in hems or ribbing yet so the roll neckline was finished with some loosely knitted rows of stockinette.
I was very pleased to finally get this far..!