Red Sweater – backwards and forwards…. and done!!

My Red Eyelet Sweater is done!

red eyelet3

After last posting about my Sweater, I took some time to consider a really helpful comment ( thanks Kristin ). The short rows on the sleeve head were never going to blend in , no matter how much wishful thinking was involved!   So I bit the bullet and started unravelling….

 

unravel

I unravelled as close to the eyelets as I could comfortably get.   I had to unravel part of the extra rows I had knitted to the yoke.  This left twelve loops which I cut, and then tied off and left them to be woven in under the arms later.

This is a reminder of what the original short rows looked like: ( there’s an obvious ridge along the upper arm)

sleeve beginning

And here is the new sleeve head beside the first attempt:

new sleeve cap (1)

A lot prettier I think you’ll agree? 🙂 So all that was left was to repeat the unravelling on the other arm and finish the sleeves.

red eyelt shoulder shot

I literally used up every last bit of yarn making this – I didn’t have enough to do the high-low hem. Instead I finished with a k3 p1 rib and then cast off.  I’m really happy that I took the time to fix the sleeves properly (although I don’t look it in this pic!)

red eyelet full shot

It’s very comfortable to wear too, and actually feels like something I’d pick up and buy.  I’ve had it happen before, that I spend days knitting something just to look at it and realise that it’s not my style.  My chuck sweater would fit into that category, fits well, looks lovely… but just not very me.  Has that ever happened to you?

Advertisements

Eyelet Yoke Sweater progress

I’m getting close to the finish with my Eyelet Yoke Sweater .  But I did make a few changes along the way so I’m sharing them in the hope that it might be useful to someone else.

First of all the neckline – I noticed the neck had a very wide opening.  I wanted my version to sit closer to my neck. So I decided to add some extra rows to my yoke piece before dividing for the sleeves. This helped a little I think. But then after trying it on later I realised that the sleeves would need to be shaped more like a set-in sleeve than the tube shape sleeve in the pattern.

If you look at the picture below you will see where the neckline would sit if I added a tube sleeve on as directed in the Sweater Recipe:

wide neckline

I decided to try adding in some short rows to the top of the sleeve to allow the neckline to sit higher as below:

new neckline

Here’s a rough idea of where the short rows would go:

short rows side view

And here’s how it looks after I did the short rows and then continued in the round:

sleeve beginning

I picked up the wraps as best I could, and I’m hoping they will be less obvious after blocking.

I worked out how many rows to do by measuring from the shoulder edge to where my underarm starts.  I needed to work approx  fourteen rows so I started with the centre nine stitches and knitted on two stitches at the end of each row until I had used all the armhole stitches that were on hold. Then I carried on as per pattern instructions.

I’m not very experienced with short rows – but I came across this free Craftsy course which might be of help if you want to use them in your project:  Carol Fellers Short row course.

Sweater ( & Sock) Knitting

ImageThis past week I’ve squeezed in some knitting time to work on my Red Eyelet Sweater. I’m at about waist level and its been an easy knit so far.  The hem has a really nice shape – longer at the back than front, made with short rows.

The Yarn is an Aran weight Dy Choice Yarn that’s 25% wool and 75% Acrylic. I’m hoping that the acrylic will mean it will pill less than if it were all wool. It’s definitely a pattern I’d recommend for TV / Car knitting, as once the yoke eyelets are finished, it’s just plain knitting in the round, with a few increases and decreases along the way.

Two stitch markers are needed but all mine look very similar so I used a little yarn loop on one side :

Image

My thrifty stitch marker…..!!

I’ve also been tipping away (slowly!) on my Hermione socks :

Image

It’s the same yarn that I used for my last socks, but in a different colourway. They’re looking kinda pretty so far!

Oddly even though I sew a lot, I haven’t posted much about sewing! I’ve been inspired by some self-imposed burda challenges out in blogland and think something like that could keep me focused. I also need to make more use of all the Burdas that are gathering dust on a shelf. xxx Chris