Hi there, I know it’s May, (the weeks have flown by!) but somehow I’m still stuck on my skirt from February’s Burdastyle! I didn’t find anything I liked in the March issue, but I have made culottes from the April issue, which should show up here soon…
In the meantime – I’m finally finished with my blue wrap skirt.
I machine embroidered some leftover fabric and then cut out the pockets.
Embroidery in progress
My Pfaff is about nine years old, but it’s working fine. The only issue is the software is outdated and only works on an old desktop running Windows 2000 or xp ( forgotten which one?). This means waiting a looooong while for the computer to sluggishly boot – normally time to make a cuppa.!
I rarely use my embroidery machine for clothing – it’s normally used for gifts or interior sewing. I’m always conscious that it could look like I made the garment from an old tablecloth!!
But I didn’t think it could make the skirt any worse, so what the heck.
Positioning the pockets
The pockets are topstitched in place:
Now that I’ve added some colour to the skirt it’s much nicer to wear, and easier to match with other clothes. Definitely an improvement!
Next up are some culottes – they’ve gotten some bemused looks around here, but I’m kind of pleased with them. Once I get a picture, you can make up your own mind….!
Thanks everyone for all your helpful comments on my last post. My posed photo didn’t show enough detail so I’m posting some extra skirt photos that I took on my dressform.
A little note if you plan to make this – I really think it benefits from the belt loops:
It has been very comfortable to wear in comparison to another wrap skirt I own. With the other skirt, I’ve had the problem of the tie-belt slipping above the waistband every time I sat down. Whereas it stays put on this skirt thanks to the loops.
As mentioned in some comments (and I agree), it needs to be styled differently and worn with a more fitted top. I also plan to attach the pockets ( and maybe add some colour with embroidery?) But in the meantime here’s how it looks – Back view first:
Below you can see that the back pleat is stitched closed at the top half of the skirt:
The faux wrap portion of the skirt :
And here it is opened back:
So there you go, hope that gives a clearer idea of how this looks made up! till next time xx
Hi there! Just as Feb ends I’m finally posting my finished skirt…
It’s been finished with a while, but I’m a bit meh about it to be honest.
First the good – I love the wrap style (faux wrap in honesty). It fits well and I can see myself making one in a different fabric and slightly shorter.
The back has a lovely fit…sorry forgot to snap a picture! The back pleat gets stitched closed halfway down so it’s a flattering shape.
But between the light blue colour and the front pleat it just makes me think of a uniform skirt….
See what I mean? !!
I think I’ll add the pockets and shorten it a little before I decide whether to send it to the thrift shop!
I made a start on my wrap skirt yesterday, either side of watching the second episode of The Great British Sewing Bee. The challenges were all based around childrenswear which a few of the contestants had never sewn. The Elephant costume was a well deserved winner for garment of the week. It was a pity to see Alex leave – I had picked another person as being likely to go. Sewing while under pressure is no easy task !! I also thought Lorna should have come first instead of second for the waistcoat challenge!!
Wrap skirt front view
I love seeing sewing on Tv, it’s bringing sewing to a whole generation that was never taught. ( I was one of only 2 girls in my entire year at school, who knew how to sew). But I do feel bad for the time pressures put on contestants – It doesn’t make sewing seem like the relaxing and rewarding pastime it can be.
But back to my skirt! –
I overlocked the split, and folded back the least amount I could. Then top stitched in place:
I prefer a shaped waistband, so after cutting the strips as instructed, I marked where the waistband lined up with the skirt darts:
Folded the band at that point ( marked with yellow pin)
Then marked and stitched a small dart:
I snipped the dart at the center to balance it out before pressing:
Waistband with shaping
I added belt loops to keep the waist ties in place – they are trapped between the waistband and skirt:
They are left free at the top for now:
But once the side seams have been stitched on the waistband, I will top stitch the loops across the top.