I put my blue skirt aside to work on a quick make – again from the February Burdastyle Magazine – it’s the cropped top style 127
Cropped top… No thanks…. I’d freeze! The sun might have appeared the last few days… but it’s still an Irish spring! So I lengthened mine – 4cm above the dart and another 7cm onto the hem.
I had traced this at the same time as my blue skirt. (… Which btw I have started to like again – pockets are in progress).
I used french seams on the sides and shoulders. And then overlocked and turned back the armhole seam.
I bound the neckline and continued it into a button loop at the back neck:
I quite like the shaped armhole seam, which I topstitched down-
I used a lightweight fabric that isn’t very drapey – not surprising since this isn’t apparel fabric! It’s cut from a curtain voile remnant.
I thought it was sticking out too much at the back, so instead of closing the centre back, I added a thread chain and two buttons –
I’m wearing it with along sleeve top underneath, but it looks quite nice on it’s own too…. when it’s warmer maybe!
Silver crepe 8 point star
A Makezine link popped up in my Facebook news feed the other day for some cardboard star decorations, and I couldn’t wait to give them a go. It’s for an Origami Star Holiday Decoration. If you’re looking for a quick Christmas craft to do yourself or with kids… give it a go!
I didn’t have any cardboard to hand, so I took the bag of cereal out of the cornflake box and used that! It gave me flashbacks to my childhood. We used to watch the programme ‘How do you do?’ a craft show on RTE( Irish Tv channel) – and, afterwards I’d empty every food packet in the house to get useable cardboard!! My poor mother had a lot to put up with.! I remember some days we would have to ring my dad at work and beg him to bring home some pipe cleaners for the next ‘make & do’ project we’d just seen the presenter Mary FitzGerald create. ( One of my earliest career ambitions was to have Mary Fitzgerald’s’ job when I grew up !)
The star above was made with cardboard with some silver crepe paper stuck onto the square before I started folding and sticking.
The black ones are made from some light craft card:
Which we then covered with some silver snowflakes ( meant to be used as table confetti!)
Then I took some crumpled gift wrap from the recycling pile – ( and crumpled it some more! ) before sticking it to another cardboard square and then turning it into a star!
And finally a group shot! –
The 8 – point star was made by sticking one star on top of the other!
** In case you’re wondering – while typing in the title, I was reminded of one of my favourite songs
from Irish band The Frames, called ‘Star Star’ ……enjoy!
Phew, what a week! I haven’t sat at my laptop for long this week as I was working on my entry for round 2 of the Pattern Review Sewing Bee . That’s right – last weeks A-Line skirt made it through yay!! Which was fantastic…except it meant getting something else made in a hurry this week. ( Using up to five mens shirts)
And this is what I came up with…..
My ShirtSdress !!
And a few details….
Armholes used as pockets, Collar used on pocket edge
I used sleeves from on of the shirts as a waist tie
I have some more in process pictures, but my brain is fried right now so I’ll do a separate post at a later stage! There are some very unique entries in the contest gallery, and I now think that I might have gone a little more “out there” with my make. But there ya go, it’s done now….! In the meantime keep your fingers crossed that this passes with the judges…. Ps.. My entry can be seen in full on Pattern Review here.
Do you end up with bag-loads of other peoples clothes because they know you can sew? I do!! No one ever sends their clothes to the charity shop without letting me have a look through first !! That’s how I came upon the dress pictured below on the left:
Old dress into new top
It was a dress that was no longer being worn and I was drawn to the bright colours on it. The fabric was 100% cotton and I knew I might just squeeze a sleeveless top from it! I used this Simplicity pattern ( which I’ve made up before )
** just a little note if you plan to make this** – I cut mine about 5cm shorter than the pattern as I found it was a bit too long for my taste.
I started by checking if the pieces would fit using the lower portion of the dress:
sizing up the front pattern piece
It was clear that the top would extend into the other panels on the dress – but the waist section was a heavier fabric that had piping so I wasn’t too keen to use it. Instead I decided to patch together the pieces of the dress that I wanted to use. and avoid using the piped waistband piece.
I started by cutting apart the dress and the cut out the main back piece :
Back on fold
Which looked like so:
I then added a dark blue strip along the top, stitching right side together and overlocking the seam:
And then finished cutting out the back piece:
I approached the front piece in a similar way, fitting as much as I could on the fabric:
Adding a piece to the shoulder:
How it looked after adding shoulder pieces:
I bound the neckline and armholes with bias fabric strips:
It came together quickly and here’s the finished top!