B6168 Dress – pictures & final details

This is the Butterick 6168 dress by Lisette that I made at the start of the summer……little did I know it was also the middle and end of the summer! Ah well it was nice to see the sun for a short while!!

image

I cut the skirt a size smaller than the bodice to reduce the fullness of the gathered front.

image

The sleeves could do with being a little looser, and I hand tacked the front wrap to stop it gaping and help it to sit flat.
Otherwise, very few changes.

image

Colour is a little off! Red is so hard to photograph!

I added lining to my version. The bodice and sleeves are flatined.

image

The skirt lining is caught with the dress at the centre back seam and the waist.

The zipper is invisible and the seam is bound with a strip of the dress fabric.

image

image

So all said, it’s a nice summer dress that looks good with flats or heels. I’m just hoping that the sun comes back out so that I can wear it again soon!

Essential Fall Pullover continued

image

Work on my jumper is continuing – I decided to forge ahead with the front piece. I’m going to leave the blue side panels as they were. As said in some comments, the side panels are not very obvious, and will look quite nice with jeans. The design by crowd sourcing (as Kate referred to in her post Fabrickated ) is very useful and way more helpful than talking to myself!

Here’s how it looks at present –

image

The pieces are seamed together and the next thing to do is to pick up stitches around the neck to knit the neckband.

image

I have added some light grey stitching over the darker section, to break up the large colour block, and will also add some more blue. Before and after can be seen below –

image

I’m using duplicate stitch to scatter the colours on the front panel. There’s a good explanation of the stitch hereThe Purlbee

Not much left to finish!

On my needles…. Essential Fall Pullover

In between sewing, I’m currently knitting a variation of this pattern which can be found for free on the Lion Brand yarn site –  The Essential Fall Pullover by Mari Lynn Patrick

image

I took a while, looking through ravelry, before deciding on this. I have been known to cast on a new project too quickly, without thinking enough about the style and fit of the piece.

So before starting this pattern I had a look at the rtw jumpers that I reach for time and again. They are all a little oversized or a loose fit. I like to layer up in the winter and close fitting knits just make me feel a bit cooped up.

I also wanted to use up the many leftover balls of yarn had. I thought the above pattern would be a good canvas to mix and match colours.  Something (loosely ) inspired by these pictures screenshot to my phone.

image

I knitted the back panel in a mid grey and the side pieces in a speckled blue – and then the Raglan sleeves in a grey blue.

image

The ribbed band is in the same grey as the back panel –

image

Then I started on the front panel. I used the same grey for the ribbing and mixed grey and charcoal and a little bit of blue (barely visible in picture) throughout.  I’ve been making it up as I go…..

image

It’s mainly intarsia – where you use a different ball of yarn for each colour section, held at the back of the work. I wrap the yarns around each other every time I swap colours to avoid any gaps.

image

I’m taking a short break while I decide where to go next with it….

I really like how the front is looking – but after seeing it all together, the blue side panels are not quite right.

image

I either need to add more blue to the front (I can add it by stitching it over the grey) or just give in and redo the side panels. I really shouldn’t have seamed the pieces together so early as it’ll mean unpicking those seams first.

In reality I know the better option is to change the side panels…  But I’ll think about it a bit longer :)

Burda Challenge 2015 (April)

The Burda Challenge 2015  entails making something from each months issue of Burdastyle Magazine and then sharing it online.  These are the Culottes from the illustrated sewing section in the April issue of Burdastyle –   a little late to the blog!

 

image

 

Although people’s opinions vary on whether they really are culottes, or if they are (as said by a friend ) “just really wide pants”?

I think I’d like them better if they were more like a skirt around the legs.  As they are now, they look quite straight. Although they are very similar to this example of culottes found on ASOS:

 

IMG_20150525_52390

 

 

They have pleats at the waist,  which I ended up stitching down by a few inches

image

 

 

But even so they still stick out a little – I used a suiting weight fabric, a lighter fabric would drape better.

image

 

They are a little high-waisted too, so look best with a cropped top. High heels are a definite too.  With flat sandals they just looked disastrous ( see ASOS example above!).  When hemming these, I pinned them to be parallel to the ground as due to the width they looked to dip lower at the inner legs.

They were a straightforward make and the instructions are very clear. If I was to make these again I’d go for a fabric with more drape and add some width from the hips down.

 

A list of blogs participating in the Burda Challenge 2015 can be found  here:

burdachallenge pic

Last day to signup- Free Creativebug classes for 30 days

I’ve just signed up for 30 days free classes from Creativebug.  Today is the last day!

I was catching up on some blog reading and remembered a post by Karen at Fringe Association.  (Follow the link in her post to get the full details.)

image

My most recent knitting location!

I have no experience of using Creativebug, but nothing to lose since it’s free!

Also I’d highly recommend reading more of Karen’s blog – lots of knitting inspiration to be found :-)