0AL 2014 – Myrna completed, dress not so much….

image

 

Oops where has the month gone? ……. First up…… I misread the closing date for the nettie sewalong which is probably just as well, since I didn’t get round to making my second Nettie yet!

I’m still working ( slowly) on my Outfit Along dress, but my cardi is finished and has been worn a few times.  The more I knit for myself, the more I’m starting to learn which changes to make in order to fit my shape (which is on the straight side fyi!).

After making a few of Andi Satterlund’s Patterns, and from looking at her finished measurement diagrams, it’s clear that she designs for a shape with a bigger difference between bust and waist than I have.   Either my waist is too big or my bust is too small (a little of each I think! ) This is pretty much the same with rtw clothing on my frame, so not a complaint about Andi’s designs!  More of a lament about sizing really.  Most sewing patterns and rtw clothing assumes  approx 8-10 inches of a  difference between bust and waist,  ( mine is only a 6″ difference).   I look forward to the day an Indie designer launches some patterns for the straight bodies out there !!

 

 

myrna cast on

The beginning 🙂

 

 

In the mean time I did what I do with my sewing patterns – remove some of the shaping.   I made the size small which fits really well in the shoulders/arms.  I worked the pattern as written until the underarms.  Then instead of decreasing two stitches at each side as per pattern instructions, I only decreased one stitch at each side. This gave a gentler slope at the sides and left me with more stitches and more room at the waist.

 

This cardigan went everywhere with me until it was done! It was such a lovely pattern to knit up and since I finished I’ve missed bringing knitting to do while I keep the kids amused on my days off.

myrna at the beach

Continued at the beach…

 

myrna playground knitting

Last sleeve at the playground

 

I wet blocked my Myrna and when it was dry I stitched on some hem tape to reinforce the button band: ( I used hem reinforcing tape as it was the only thing I had to hand but it does the job!)

band on cardi

 

 

 

The dress part of the OAl is not going so well unfortunately. I started with this pattern, Simplicity 1797:

oal dress pattern

Simplicity 1797

 

It has a nice high neckline which I like and princess seams. I intend to add a different skirt – not sure what yet though.  I made the practice bodice in a printed cotton and adjusted the seams as necessary and then transferred the changes back to the pattern.

armhold bnding

 

 

The armholes are bound in the same way as Lauren explains in her blog.  This is a lovely neat way to finish necklines or armholes, especially if the dress is unlined.

20140628_004242

So now I need to get my skates on and instead of making my practice dress wearable, I need to get cutting on my actual Oal dress to match my Myrna or I’ll miss another deadline !! Anyone else this far behind?

Completed – Hortencia Cardigan

 

I finished my Hortencia last week. And I really love it ( I think I say that about all my new knits!)  It was a real joy to knit.

Pattern can be found here Hortencia by Andi Satterlund  .

hortencia front

I knit the size small but I need the medium at my waist.  So I followed the instructions for the size small at the front edges. But only decreased six stitches at the sides and left the other stitches to give me a bit more room at the waist.  I’ve noticed from my Miette and Chuck that the side decreases are quite steep and so seem suited to a curvy figure. I know from sewing for myself that I have a very straight figure ( ie no waist!!) So I think a straighter side edge suits me better.

 

I used Tivoli Tweed Aran Yarn and 5mm needles.  My gauge was slightly bigger than called for – (pattern asks for 18 st and 24 rows to 4”) I got 17 st to 4”.  So it is a little bigger than it should be , but not enough that it matters.

hort back

 

This is a pattern I can see myself using again – I think a black or dark plum would work really well for next winter.  I want to find a good quality wool to use for it as the selection locally is almost always acrylic blends so any suggestions for a wool that is comfy and holds up to washing & wearing would be appreciated 🙂

Today’s knitting is brought to you by the letter….. H

 

H is the theme of my knitting right now – on my needles I have Andi Satterlunds gorgeous cardigan Hortencia. And I’m still working on my Hermione socks. A little every now and again… they’re almost done:)

hort vest

But to be honest I’ve just been engrossed in my new cardi! I picked up the pattern when it was on sale on Valentines day. I have been looking for a quick and easy cardigan for a while, and this is perfect. It’s a very straightforward pattern to knit, but has a lovely collar in garter stitch to give it some texture and visual interest.

 

It’s a seamless, top down knit in stocking stitch. The collar is shaped with short rows in garter stitch. The sleeves are knit onto the armhole, with short rows used for the sleeve cap. I have one sleeve left to finish, but I’m quite proud of how neat the first one looks :

hortfirst sleeve

 

Yarn details are on my ravelry page The colour is difficult to photograph , it’s a green that slightly teal but with gorgeous flecks of colour throughout. I honestly can’t wait until it’s finished ( hopefully in time for Paddy’s Day! )