Covering buttons – a diy solution

image

Apparently necessity is the mother of invention.  Well I needed two satin covered buttons and quickly. My solution is not something I’d recommend – unless there’s no time for a better option!

image

I was putting the finishing touches on a friends jacket, and we hadn’t bought any self-cover buttons, because I was certain that I already had some………… Nope.

But I did have some flat metal buttons with a small shank.  The buttons are purely for decoration, and as they won’t be handled much, I came up with a quick fix.  (This is about as far from a couture method as you can get!)

I cut circles from the satin (slightly larger than the buttons),  and gathered them around the buttons ;

image

image

image

 

Then I cut two more circles slightly smaller than the buttons.

image

 

I used a lighter to seal the raw edges – this only works with synthetic fabrics.   Then I cut a small slit in the centre, and these were placed over the backs, like so-

image

 

A glue gun was used to attach them.

image

 

I then stitched them to the organza jacket, with a small square of organza inside the jacket as reinforcement for the light fabric.

image

Here’s what the jacket looked like finished – it’s almost impossible to photograph because of the transparency!  Unfortunately I didn’t have time to stop and get in-progress photos.  It was an interesting project, using a mix of bound and French seams.
Ps…..
*** If you want to have some buttons covered properly, have a look at the beautiful ones Helen used on her last dress ***

image

Lisette B6168 Red dress

I have yet to get some pictures of my new culottes, so in the meantime I’m sharing some details from a dress I’ve been making.  It’s a Lisette dress from Butterick – B6168.

There is a detailed sew-along on the Lisette site, but their version is unlined.  So because I’m lining my dress, some pictures might be helpful for anyone who wants to add a lining.

 

b6168 lisette

 

My main fabric is a red linen-look cotton, I bought it locally as the end of a roll. Minerva Crafts looks to have something similar for sale  (I’ve sent for a sample and, if it is the same fabric, I might buy some for a light summer top) .   It is quite lightweight, so I am lining it with a lightweight cotton that I had lying around.

 

Lisette B6168

There are centre front pleats which could make lining it bulky, so the front bodice panels are actually underlined ( both fabric are tacked together and then treated as one piece). The pleats are then folded and held in place with pins or tacking stitches. I made a quick muslin of the bodice and it fit well – so if you’re above a b-cup, you would most likely need to alter the pattern first!

 

The centre front facing is being attached below:

 

bod1

 

Here’s how the inside right bodice looks:

bod2

 

The front tab is caught in the stitching of the facing on the right side . The facing is understitched as far as possible:

bod3

 

 

The tab is then caught onto the left bodice when sewing the other facing on:

bod4

 

 

Here is how it looks from the inside ,after the fronts were overlapped and the waist band pieces have been attached:    bod8

 

I am working on it in small chunks of time in between other work and it is coming together nicely.

I’ve also cast on a new knitting project!!! I’m determined to have some new knits ready in plenty of time for next winter.  All the fantastic entries from SWAP 2015 must have inspired me to start planning my projects ahead of time!!

P.S …..Check out this years winner Kate who blogs at Fabrickated 

 

 

Invisible Zipper finish sewing tip

*Hi there new visitors & welcome. If you find this tip helpful be sure to follow Make&Wear for future posts :)*

Sometimes invisible zips worry me that they will come open. Especially when they start at the waist of a skirt. Instead of a hook and eye (which can be difficult to see). I use a fabric loop and button – on the inside.

image

Before the facing goes on, I catch a loop of lining fabric onto the zipper tape as below-

image

Then attach the facing as normal :

image

And all that’s left to do is sew a small flat button onto the opposite side of the zip 🙂 That should save any wardrobe malfunctions! ! Happy sewing, Chris