My green dress needs one more pocket to be stitched and it’ll be finished, but I keep putting it to one side!
In the meantime, while I wait in the car for the rain to stop….. I thought I’d show off this appliqué top!
It started out as a plain top:
There were one or two tiny marks that wouldn’t come out in the wash, so I decide to use some colourful scraps of fabric to jazz it up a bit.
I have lots of embroidery transfers that are years old (maybe 20+!), from a time when I bought an embroidery magazine every fortnite that had a kit attached. (Such a mis-spent youth 😂)!
I cut out flower shapes that interested me and strategically placed them to cover any marks and then ironed the design in place.
I then used the transfer to cut out the coloured shapes – those pieces of fabric had bondaweb ironed to the reverse.
The coloured shapes were then ironed in place using the transfer lines as a guide to placement.
Once that was done, I used a mixture of machine and then hand embroidery stitches to hold the pieces in place, using running, chain and buttonhole stitches. It was finished over a few nights in front of the TV, a really nice relaxing project that didn’t turn out too badly! I love the colours together.
In other sewing related news, I thought this might be of interest:
On one of our walks at the beach, I stopped to photograph the lobster pots that were lined up on the Quay, when we noticed some creative stitching:
These pot’s were made from repurposed drums that had net stitched around a cut-out opening! So clever!
That’s it for now, I hope all is well wherever you’re reading this from. The rain has changed to a foggy blanket, but I’m keeping hopeful that’ll well get a few more days of summer before August ends!