The dress on the above left wasn’t being worn for a couple of reasons….. the plain fabric at the top was almost see-through and just looked odd no matter what I wore. Having such a pale colour next to my face didn’t do me any favours either!
But, because I really like the colourful print, I took out Simplicity 2599:
I’ve used this pattern three times before – and all versions were made from the refashion pile. This one was also made from an old dress.
It’s a great woven t-shirt pattern to have on hand. It comes with different cup sizes and various frills, (none of which I’ve never used). I like that it has bust shaping but is loosely fitted at the waist.
The back of the top is a light sweat-shirting fabric that has a little give to it, making it easy to put on without an opening at the back neck.
I finished the neckline with a facing that was attached a little differently to the pattern directions. Firstly, I attached just the front neck facing to the front, right sides together, trimmed, flipped it to the inside and pressed it.
Then I stitched the front to the back, at the shoulder seams ( not pictured) , This caught the front facing onto the shoulders.
With the inside front facing me , I pinned the back neck facing across the back neck and over onto the shoulder seams (sandwiching the front facing at the shoulders again)
Here is a close up showing how I then stitched it in place:
Before trimming and turning it through. Below is a close up of the inside at the shoulder seam. Sewing it this way keeps the facing secure at the shoulder line, and its a change from the usual order of sewing. Keep in mind that the shoulder seams are all pressed towards the back, so this only works on fabric that isn’t too bulky.
I topstitched across the back neck with a stretchy machine stitch:
The armholes are finished with strips of bias-cut lining fabric, and the armholes are topstitched.
Lastly the side seams and hem are sewn, and then it’s ready to wear !