Apparently necessity is the mother of invention. Well I needed two satin covered buttons and quickly. My solution is not something I’d recommend – unless there’s no time for a better option!
I was putting the finishing touches on a friends jacket, and we hadn’t bought any self-cover buttons, because I was certain that I already had some………… Nope.
But I did have some flat metal buttons with a small shank. The buttons are purely for decoration, and as they won’t be handled much, I came up with a quick fix. (This is about as far from a couture method as you can get!)
I cut circles from the satin (slightly larger than the buttons), and gathered them around the buttons ;
Then I cut two more circles slightly smaller than the buttons.
I used a lighter to seal the raw edges – this only works with synthetic fabrics. Then I cut a small slit in the centre, and these were placed over the backs, like so-
A glue gun was used to attach them.
I then stitched them to the organza jacket, with a small square of organza inside the jacket as reinforcement for the light fabric.
Here’s what the jacket looked like finished – it’s almost impossible to photograph because of the transparency! Unfortunately I didn’t have time to stop and get in-progress photos. It was an interesting project, using a mix of bound and French seams.
*** If you want to have some buttons covered properly, have a look at the beautiful ones Helen used on her last dress ***