After a look back at my 2014 knitting, I decided that this year it was time to try writing my own pattern ( a very simple pattern !) I own a shop bought T-shaped top that looked like a good piece to try to re-create (ie..knockoff!)
It’s waist length and made from just two pieces. The sleeves are knit in one with the body pieces. It’s made in stocking stitch so seemed like a good choice for my first attempt at pattern writing.
I swatched with some aran weight yarn and checked my gauge over stocking stitch. I measured the sweater and made some calculations on how many stitches and rows I would need to do.
But after doing the ribbing at the hem, I decided now would also be a good time to practice some cables…… first mistake there. Cables will of course make everything narrower so I should have increased my stitch count.
I checked my knitting against the original :
In the above photo I’ve had to really stretch out the yellow fabric to make it line up with the orange top.
So really I should have gone back to the start. But…. a small child took a liking to the yellow colour and asked if it could be for them? The unstretched knit looked to be a nice size, with some wearing ease. So I carried on knitting, while sizing it up against said child when they passed by. And this is the result:
I’d like to say I only made one mistake… but I’m happy to show my second mistake because (I think !) I rescued it pretty well.
Here’s the inside back:
And here’s the inside front:
Can you spot the difference? I was happily knitting away when I got to the neckline and saw I had forgotten to increase for the sleeve fronts!! So I knit two separate pieces and then used
kitchener mattress stitch to seam them to the fronts.(edited as I mixed up the names!)
I also used mattress stitch for the side seams. I’m delighted I finally took the time to learn how to properly seam. And should probably make sure I have the basics perfected before I get carried away with pattern designing!
So although it may not have turned out the size I wanted, I did wonder how much stretch it had and couldn’t resist a little try-on….
Ha ha…. so technically it fits. .. but with a bit too much negative ease for my liking!!! Heres a comparison with the original top:
The useful thing is that now I can see clearly how many extra stitches and rows I will need for my next attempt. ….yes there will be another attempt 🙂
*eta* – The tutorial I followed for mattress stitch can be found hereMattress stitch tutorial