Happy New Year everyone!!! I hope you all had a restful break over the holidays. It’s all systems normal from tomorrow for us – but it was really nice to have all the extra family time over Christmas.
I had hoped to share pictures of my Purl Soho City Cape before Christmas – but my laptop wasn’t playing along. After seven years it was a little overwhelmed and refused to work!!….I’m glad to say I didn’t lose any of my photos, but I’m still waiting on it to be fully repaired.
In the meantime I’m posting from my phone -so fingers crossed it works:)
I started this in Oct and finished in Dec. (It had to go on hold while I was sewing for the Pattern Review sewing bee.)
The pattern is free from Purl Soho. It’s knit in one piece from the bottom up.
I made a few changes to the original which I’ve detailed below. I wanted the option of a button closure on my cape so I figured it out as I went along. *HOWEVER* If I was to knit this again with the neckline open, I would not do the front neckline increases as written in the pattern as there is quite a big overlap at the collar section. Its not a big deal, but I think it would be a little nicer if the fronts were properly vertical, instead of slanting at the top.
How I made it :
I used 5mm needles (US8) for the entire cape as I wanted it to be smaller than the intended 60″. Mine has a finished circumference of 50″. Length is roughly the same as pattern.( Approx 21 1/2″.)
I followed the pattern as written up to the SHAPE NECKLINE Heading. From here I didn’t bind off the stitches as instructed, but I followed the rest of the row instructions to decrease either side of stitch markers for neckline. After knitting row 6 , I continued in 2×2 rib for 6” then cast off all stitches.
In the photo below, you can see I tested two options for the front bands: a 2×2 knitted rib and a double crochet band.
I settled on the sturdier option of the crochet band. They were done using a 4mm hook and a double crochet stitch (single crochet in US terms) and are 2” wide. I also made buttonholes at the upper part of the band.
I handstitched some grosgrain ribbon to the inside neckline for stability.
And also attached the ribbon to the inside of the front bands.
After a few wears, I decided to add two snaps further down so that it closes completely ( I am always cold!!!) It’s now super comfy and cosy.
And that was my last knit of 2014 ….. I looked over my Ravelry projects for this year and have made more than I thought. Including a chunky sweater that I forgot to blog. So the next post here will be my first knit from 2014….. while I try to decide what my first knit of this new year should be!! Any new pattern suggestions would be very welcome 🙂