I’m very happy to say I finished my A-Line skirt for the Pattern Review contest ( with a few hours to spare!). Half way through the week, I didn’t think it would happen. I caught a bug during the week – nothing major – but enough to make me exhausted and in need of a day of r&r. Thankfully by Thursday I was coming round. So I decided to tip away at my skirt, and hope that it would be done in time – but if not I wasn’t going to stress about it.
I made this from a black wool suiting fabric and some lace off cuts. I had roughly sketched out some ideas:
I transferred the lines onto my muslin and then traced the curved panels onto paper. Then I cut them out from a cream lace and a champagne lace.
The lace pieces were zig zag stitched onto the skirt fronts and backs: Which were then topstitched with a champagne thread
I then tacked the lining to the front and back pieces before stitching on the pockets:
And then the hip yokes /pocket backs:
The side seam was sewn catching all layers to just below the pocket join. The lining was left to hang free from the skirt below the pockets:
All that was left was to attach a zip and waistband and hem both layers.
And just in case you’d like to see a few more details! !
Overall I’m pretty happy with how it turned out. But there are always a few things that I would have done differently! I would have liked to have added some more topstitching, but I didn’t want to run out of time.
If you’re interested, it’s worth checking out some of the entries – there are quite a few posted in the Contest Gallery – it’s amazing to see the variations on the brief of an A-line skirt. So…. fingers crossed that the judges see fit to put me through to the next round!!