I finally have some clothes sewing to show – Burdastyle shorts from the 10/2010 magazine.
The ones in the magazine have a fly front zipper
But I changed mine to a centre front seam with a back invisible zipper.
I’m finally at the stage where invisible zips go in without any undoing or ripping stitches ( or swearing ! )
The trick for me seems to be in stitching the seam underneath the zipper – it shouldn’t meet exactly with the zipper stitching – zip is on left below:
It gives a nice clean line when closed:
The pattern has welt pockets at the back. Carolyn’s version has them at her blog: HandmadebyCarolyn
But I made faux single welts with a strip of the black fabric used in the pockets :
The fabric I used is a cotton elastane.
If you were to make these – beware of how short they are! I’m quite comfortable in mine with tights. But I think it’ll need to be a very warm summer day for me to wear them with bare legs!
The facing is interfaced and I used some cotton tape to stabilise the waist edge because of the slight stretch in the fabric.
I’m trying to get ahead of myself with a summer holiday wardrobe, as this year for the first time in years I’m actually getting on a plane to go on hols! But I’m still going to get some wear out of them here in cold Ireland – just with warm tights 🙂 !